Rules & Scoring
Open to grade 6-10 classrooms/clubs who attend school in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed.
1. Classrooms answer the question: What can you do to improve your watershed?
2. Minimum of 10 students per group or classroom*
3. Answer the question: What can you do to improve your watershed?
4. Identify an environmental concern
5. Research the concern (discuss the idea with parents, teachers, friends and local experts)
6. Identify a REALISTIC SOLUTION to address the concern
7. Explain your idea in an approximately 1,000 word proposal. Use graphics, models, pictures or videos to supplement your idea.
This isn’t an essay on what a watershed is – this is a proposal to the community on ONE solution that you have that would make an actual difference to the planet. Focus on one solution and tell us…how will it make a difference? what is the timeline? who will do the work? what will it cost? where will you get the money? Think your idea through as if you were actually going to do it….and afterwards…we just might fund it!
8. Entries are judged on: (see Scoring for details)
- Environmental Impact
- Comprehensive Scope and Communication
- Realistic Solution
9. Submit your entry online or by mail. All support materials not submitted online must be sent to the local Contest Coordinator before the contest deadline.
10. Ten finalists will be selected to make a 5 minute verbal presentation to a panel of judges and a public audience. The classrooms who make the finals can have 1-4 team members present their solution.
11. Implement your idea (this is voluntary). Funding is available.
12. Win awards for your classroom and your school or club**!
* Unless classroom size is mandated at less than 10. Special permission must be given by the Program Coordinator.
** Please note: If a Home School child enters their school reward will go to a not-for-profit charity of their choice.
You may download a PDF of the following Scoring Guidelines:
Finalists “Content Score” will be added to their “Verbal Competition Score” to determine placement.